Power

 

 

Tripura with its ancient cultural heritage, rich in forest and agricultural produce is now on its march towards economic and social development. Electricity plays an important role in the economic and social development of a State. The progress in power sector in the State despite geographical, economic and infrastructural bottlenecks has been quite impressive. Performance of all important sectors, ranging from agriculture to commerce and industry as well as social sectors like health are largely depends on the desired availability of quality power. In the modern scientific world, consumption of electricity is an index of development for measuring the standard of living of the citizens.

 

The State has two sources of generation mainly, hydro and thermal. The State is endowed with natural gas, which enhances potentiality for thermal power generation. Out of the two major sources of power generation, thermal power accounts for 96 percent while remaining 4 percent is generated from hydel power (i.e. Gumti Power Project).

 

Peak demand during 2015-16 of the State was 272 MW. Own generation from three Generating Stations is 113 MW. About 130-140 MW Power was imported during peak load hours from the North Eastern Grid including the share of Palatana Project. As availability of Power for distribution in the State is 240 to 250 MW, there remains a little difference between Demand & Availability of Power. The demand of the State has been estimated to be 290 MW at the end of 2016-17 Plan as proposed in 19th Electric Power Survey Report considering the demand arising out of RGGVY and industrialization of the State, which would be met from the up-coming projects in the region.

 

The installed capacity was 115.00 MW and total power generated within the State was 716.473 MU and power purchased from Central Sector (Grid) was 1669.829 MU respectively during the year 2015-16. The total unit sold to ultimate consumers of state in 2015-16 was 1156.824 MU at 132 KV Bus. Out of this, maximum power was sold to Domestic was 439.78 MU followed by 113.26 MU for Irrigation / Public Water purposes, Commercial consumption 74.92 MU and Industrial 43.01 MU.

 

The revenue collection was Rs.432.59 Crores in 2015-16 which was Rs.405.89 Crores during 2014-15 resulting a rise of 6.58%.

 

Demand and supply situation in Tripura during 2014-15 and 2016:

 

Power Generation in Tripura in 2014-15 and 2015-16:

 

District wise Electrification in Tripura, 2015-16:

 

Ongoing projects for Development of Power Sector in Tripura:

 

Power sold to ultimate consumers in the State by category during 1994-95 to 2015-16:

 

Income & expenditure status of the power sector in Tripura, 1994-95 to 2015-16: